Bidford Community Library
Bidford Community Library Ltd. will be providing a full 'County Library Service' to the communities of Bidford on Avon and the neighbouring villages from April 2012.
The day to day running of the library is carried out entirely by volunteers.
Existing users of the County Library Service can continue to use their current county library cards.
New Services will be provided including the CAB advice unit and a new live webcam link to the District Council Offices in Stratford to avoid travelling to Elizabeth House.
If you don't use the Library but would like to support the Community Library and Community Hub why not join our BCL Friends Scheme for a small annual subscription?
SUMMER ACTIVITIES AT BIDFORD LIBRARY
Explore the Mythical Maze at Bidford Library this summer. Meet some weird and wonderful creatures from myths and legends along the way. Lots of stories and fun based around Mythical Creatures!
All sessions will run from 10.30am to 11.45am. Although booking isn't essential, places are limited and it is best to book to avoid disappointment on the day.
Mon 21 July - Thunderbird
Help to make a Totem-pole based on the legendary native American creature the Thunderbird. Cost £2 per child - Max places 22.
Tue 29 July - Dragons, Mermaids and Unicorns
Create a magical world where Dragons, Mermaids and Unicorns live. Cost £2 per child - Max places 22.
Fri 8 August - Gruffalo & Friends and Minotaur's Maze
Young children will make their own puppets and masks based on the story of 'The Gruffalo' whilst the older children will create the Minotaur's Maze. Cost £2 per child - Max places 22.
Tue 12 August - My Mythical Creature
Create you own mythical creature and adventure story. Cost £2 per child - Max places 22.
Mon 18 August - Meet a 'Mythical' Creature
Today come and see and handle some real animals and find out how they could become mythical. Cost £3 per child - Max places 30.
Fri 29 August - Amazing Characters
Chance to come along in disguise dressed-up as a Mythical Character or wearing a mask. Or make your own mask after you get here. Cost £2 per child - Max places 22.
BECOME A FRIEND OF BIDFORD LIBRARY
This is an easy way of supporting this important community asset and costs only £5 per person per annum. More information, and a subscription form, can be read below:
The aims of Bidford Community Library Ltd.
The aims of the company are:
- To provide a library service for the local community and to facilitate a community hub to promote community cohesion;
- To provide social, entertainment and educational services and activities which could help reduce feelings of isolation and rural deprivation;
- To promote volunteering, interaction, communication and wellbeing between individuals, groups and businesses to enhance community spirit;
- To provide and develop IT facilities including internet usage for the community and to develop a support network for users as required;
- To encourage all sections of the community to use the services and facilities provided and to focus the provision on the needs as recognised and in particular to encourage new skills;
- To provide services by associating with voluntary organisations, local authorities, health organisations, local communities and local organisations in a common effort to provide services enabling individuals to move forward with their lives;
- To manage and improve the facilities and services of the Company which, in the opinion of the Directors, may enhance the sustainability of the Company.
The Directors of Bidford Community Library.
Library volunteers with well known children’s book author, Anne Fine.
Guy Warner from Warner’s Budgens presenting a cheque for £918.78 to Kim James and Elisabeth Uggerloese, Directors of Bidford Community Library Ltd. This was collected by Warner’s Budgens Local Community Savings Scheme which selected Bidford Community Library as its partner in April 2012. A big 'thank you' to Warner’s Budgens and to all shoppers who have dropped the green token into the box! Please continue to do so.
Elisabeth Uggerloese (BCL), Guy Warner (Warner's Budgens) and Angela Ballard (BCL) in January 2013.
Angela Ballard (BCL), Elisabeth Uggerloese (BCL) and Guy Warner(Warner's Budgens) in January 2013.
Guy Warner presenting a cheque from Warner's Budgens to Elisabeth Uggerloese , a Director of BCL, in January 2013.
First computer course run at BCL during May/June 2013.
BCL at the Buy in Bidford Christmas Event, November 2013.
BCL Director Patricia Atkins is doing a walk from Stratford upon Avon to The Globe Theatre in London in April 2013. Patricia is raising funds for Bidford Community Library Ltd. Sponsorship form are available online and at the library.
News and Further Information
Also see our Save Our Library campaign page, for more information about the fight to keep Bidford Library open in the face of threatened closure.