HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2
Friday 28 November 2014, 7.00pm at Crawford Memorial Hall.
Bidford-on-Avon Parish has a population of approximately 5,000 people. It comprises the villages of Barton, Bidford-on-Avon and Marlcliff, which make up the Bidford-on-Avon Ward and are represented by nine councillors, and the village of Broom which makes up the Broom Ward and has its own representative, making a total of ten councillors. Both Bidford and Broom are mentioned in the well known Shakespeare drinking rhyme – drinking Bidford and beggarly Broom.
The Parish Council, which has been in existence since 1895, belongs to the Stratford-on-Avon District and has three ward councillors as well as a county councillor. The Parish Council has a very good relationship with all its District and County Councillors, who regularly attend the monthly Parish Council Meetings. It also as a very good working relationship with the local Community Beat Officer and PCSO.
The Council has a long time lease on its Parish Council Office and Meeting Room which are situated in the School/Library complex on Bramley Way. It is also the Trustee of the Crawford Memorial Hall, which is the Village Hall. Broom also has a Village Hall which reopened in September 2006. Both village halls are the venues for a number of local events – check the Upcoming Events page for details.
A Parish Appraisal, known as B50 for the local postcode, was carried out in 2003 and has now been adopted by District Council. The Parish Council is in the process of ensuring that all the matters which can be 'driven' by the Parish are implemented and, where necessary, monitored.
Bidford-on-Avon itself has grown quite considerably in the last decade, with some considerable developments being built in the fringes of the village: St. Laurence, just off the Waterloo Road; Old School Mead, on the site of the old school; and further developments at Friday Furlong and Waterloo Road. The Parish Council is very concerned about what it considers the over-development of the village and is trying to stop further back garden developments taking place, although it is not finding this easy.
One of the main features of Bidford-on-Avon is a twenty-six acre riverside meadow, called the Big Meadow, which the Parish Council leases together with the adjacent field known as Monie Meadow from the Trustees of Alice, Duchess Dudley. It is open all year round for walkers and in the summer, for a small charge, visitors can park their cars there – this is free to residents of the village on production of a card which they can obtain at the Parish Council Office.
Apart from the Big Meadow, the Parish Council is responsible for other open space areas: Marleigh Road, Jubilee Close, The Leys and King's Lane (Broom) all of which are leased, and Dugdale Avenue which it has recently acquired. It is responsible for the maintenance of all these areas which includes mowing, strimming, trees, hedge trimming, litter collection, dog bins, play equipment inspection and, where relevant, toilet cleaning, gate keeping etc.
The Parish Council owns the Bidford Youth Club site, two cemeteries and two allotments sites, and has a maintenance contract for the closed churchyard of St. Laurence.
There are three distinct conservation areas in Barton, Bidford-on-Avon and Broom with a number of listed and noteworthy buildings, including the Parish Church of St. Laurence which celebrated its 800th year in 2006. The hamlet of Marlcliff, which is situated near the bank of the River Avon, includes a number of well kept traditional Warwickshire cottages.
Latest Additions to this Website
- 20/11/14: Agenda - for Parish Council Meeting on 24 November 2014.
- 20/11/14: Events - more details on the Bidford Christmas Lights Switch-On.
- 20/11/14: Events - Dick Whittington pantomime.
- 15/11/14: Finance - a new page containing financial information relating to the Parish Council.
- 15/11/14: Events - more details of the Buy in Bidford Christmas Event.
- 12/11/14: Minutes - from October's Planning Committee meeting.
- 12/11/14: Events - 'We Will Remember Them' Book Launch.
- 12/11/14: Events - Bidford Church annual Christmas Tree Festival.
- 12/11/14: Events - Alcester Victoria Silver Band Concert.
- 12/11/14: Events - Bidford-on-Avon WI Meeting.
- 12/11/14: Notice - a 'thank you' from Bidford-on-Avon WI.
- 12/11/14: St Laurence Church - service dates and times.
- 12/11/14: Rural Cinema - screening dates for 2015.
- 12/11/14: Rural Cinema - new coming soon poster.
- 07/11/14: Agenda - for Planning Committee Meeting on 10 November 2014.
- 07/11/14: Events - Bidford Christmas Lights Switch-On.
- 07/11/14: Events - English Serenata and Stratford Chamber Choir Concert.
- 07/11/14: Your Photos - two new photographs of our parish taken by a local resident.
- 03/11/14: Events - Bidford Rural Cinema film for 14 December 2014.
- 03/11/14: Notice - vacancy for the position of Honorary Treasurer to the Crawford Memorial Hall.
- 03/11/14: Councillors - added Cllr Deacon and updated contact list of Parish Councillors.
- 28/10/14: Events - Bidford Rural Cinema films for January 2015.
- 28/10/14: Minutes - from September's Parish Council meeting.
- 28/10/14: Events - Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group Meeting.
- 23/10/14: Agenda - for Parish Council Meeting on 27 October 2014.
- 23/10/14: Events - professional Table Tennis coaching with champion Eddie Lynn.
- 23/10/14: Events - Halloween Horrors with Lion Learners at Bidford Library.
- 23/10/14: Other Newsletters - SDC Parish and Partners Briefing for October 14.
- 17/10/14: Churches - updated information for Bidford Baptist Church.
- 17/10/14: Events - new Bidford Rural Cinema film for 31 October 2014.
- 17/10/14: Events - Bingo Evening.
- 17/10/14: Minutes - from September's Planning Committee meeting.
- Previous Updates
This website was last updated on 20 November, 2014